What Every Parent in Lake Tahoe California Nevada Should Know About Eating Disorders
Parents do have a child or loved one that’s dealing with an eating disorder? Are you not sure what to say or how to support them in a healthy manner in Lake Tahoe California Nevada? Here are myths about eating disorders and healthy eating, which will help you address the issue.
According to an article at empoweredparents.com, “Facts for Parents, Health Professionals, and Educators on Healthy Eating and Eating Disorder Myths”
“The following are facts that will help you to prevent, address, or treat eating disorders or dysfunctions in your child, student, patient, or loved one.
Myths about healthy eating
- Food is fattening.
- Fat is unhealthy for the body.
- Dieting and restricting food is the best way to lose weight.
- It’s okay to skip meals.
- Nobody eats breakfast.
- Food substitutes such as Power Bars and Slim Fast are okay to take the place of meals.
- Meals are to be served, not eaten, by parents.
- Exercise can keep a person slim and fit. You can never overdo a good thing.
- Being fat is about being unhealthy, unhappy and unattractive. It must be avoided at all costs.
- Fat-free eating is healthy for eating disorders.
- A meal is anything you put in your mouth around mealtime.
Myths about eating disorders
- Once anorexic, always anorexic. Like alcoholism, eating disorders are not curable.
- Anorexics are easy to identify. They are noticeably skinny and don’t eat.
- Once an anorexic has achieved a normal weight, she is recovered.
- An eating disorder is about eating too little or too much.
- Parents are the cause of their child’s eating disorder.
- Eating disorders affect only adolescent girls.
- People lose weight using laxatives and diuretics.
- Physicians can be counted on to discover and diagnose an eating disorder.”
Need a healthy approach on how to deal with treating an eating disorder in Lake Tahoe California Nevada? ABC Nutrition Services can help determine the best treatment for yourself or a loved one, please visit abcnutritionservices.com for more information on eating disorder.